Andy on Twitter

  • If believes it should be shut down perhaps he should start by deleting the app and not using Twitter anymore. ,
  • It remains baffling to me why folks can't distinguish between private sealed mail and very public communication on… ,
  • Great read from Jared Diamond: lessons from a pandemic | Financial Times - ,
  • Likely due to my contribution of late... Whisky production goes from strength to strength - via @shareaholic,
  • Love but word of caution on their Flight Credits. Read the small print. My reco is just ask for a refund. Bit of a rort...,
  • McLaren Group remembers the tragic passing of its brilliant founder ,
  • Don’t you just love all these comparisons suggesting this is just like the GFC. ,
  • European Commission Presents Guidelines to Reopen Tourism | Travel Agent Central ,
  • The death of the office ,
  • A class act and the right way to handle things. In stark contrast to many others...A Message from Co-Founder and C… ,
  • Brilliant read... Signaling as a Service « ,
  • Great read... China: Out of Lockdown - We Are Social Australia ,
  • I reckon with all this isolation and time we start an Apple Revolution (admittedly #1,000 on my todo-list) where we… ,
  • Apple calls it the Magic Keyboard because the current keyboard is unmagical. But we paid for magic - and got shit.… ,
  • Ok, I'm an fanboy... but why not offer to upgrade recent Macbooks? None of these features warrants a new sys… ,
  • Learned

We’re all flying blind

Research into CMO’s views tends to humour me more than enlighten. It mostly tends to be out, based on what I am hearing, by some order of magnitude.

The latest from the CMO Council falls nicely into both the humour and out by an order of magnitude category. Here are a few snippets:

  • 84 per cent of global marketers expect the pandemic will multiply business disruption globally. OK, so what are the rest thinking – there either in self-isolation on a mountaintop or in denial?
  • 90 per cent expect to make changes to their marketing plans. Again, what is the remaining 10% thinking?
  • 66 per cent said they don’t have enough real-time visibility and insight into the pandemic’s impact across both the demand and supply chains. That should be like, 100%.
  • 69 per cent are not satisfied with the quality, timeliness and usefulness of decision support data. Again, should be 100%. It’s not that the functions providing the data are failing, it’s just they are living with VUCA as well.
  • Marketers feel they’re addressing customer consternation and concern extremely well (36 per cent) or moderately well (56 per cent). “Feeling” isn’t a fact. What do customers think? The many marketers I’ve spoken to are struggling with how to communicate in a relevant and authentic way, and to scale communications when all the resources they depend on are shutting down.
  • Two out of three said they’re safeguarding employees and support staff extremely well, and 27 per cent moderately well. I’m hearing real concern amongst marketers for their people. Not in terms of whether they are communicating well or not, but rather, whether there will be jobs at the end of this.
  • Nearly 60 per cent expressed moderate confidence in their company’s contingency, containment and recovery plans, while 31 per cent are extremely confident. I’m seeing this skew massively by sector. In banking, high confidence – they are built to weather crisis like this. In travel and hospitality, much less so. In non-essential retail, 100% aren’t. The industry matters greatly. Homogenizing data produces a false result.
  • Nearly half of marketers are bracing for marketing spending cuts. Another 26 per cent don’t know what’s going to happen. Bracing for cuts is right up there with “hope as a strategy”. The best marketers I am talking to are taking a leadership stance in reshaping and remodelling budgets to reflect demand models and architecting a strategy for the next three months, and alternate strategies for beyond that. The budget should be a by-product of strategy.

Your thoughts?

To view an infographic on the data, click here.

 

Speak Up — Add Your Thoughts

Connections

  • Learned
How did you connect?   [?]