Andy on Twitter

  • Connect

Smart Guy, Smart Advice…

Andrew Tobias has some great advice for navigating through the current financial maelstrom.

This via Zen Habits is smart stuff:

  • Andrew Tobias suggests a simple three-step budget: Destroy all of your credit cards. Invest 20% of all that you earn (and never touch it). Live on the remaining 80%, no matter what.
  • Elizabeth Warren’s balanced money formula is outstanding. It’s the budget I use. Allocate 20% of your after-tax income for savings (or debt reduction), 50% for needs, and the remaining 30% for wants.
  • If you crave a little more complexity, try the 60% solution from Richard Jenkins at MSN Money. He says spend 20% of your pre-tax income on savings (half for retirement, half for long-term savings or debt), 60% to committed expenses, 10% to irregular expenses, and 10% for fun.

And I liked this quote: “There are times where you can afford to redecorate your house, and there are times when you need to focus on rebuilding its foundation.  Today, we have to focus on foundations.” – Barack Obama, Thursday, February 26, 2009.

Speak Up — Add Your Thoughts

Connections

  • Connect
How did you connect?   [?]
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
kiwi-pic-1
The Daily Lark-11
The Daily Lark-5
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Indulgences-Coffee