Tim Bray on why Blogging is good for your career. Here are a couple of the reasons he cites (there are five more on his site).
- You have to get noticed to get promoted.
- You have to get noticed to get hired.
- It really impresses people when you say “Oh, I’ve written about that, just Google for XXX and I’m on the top page” or “Oh, just Google my name.”
- No matter how great you are, your career depends on communicating. The way to get better at anything, including communication, is by practicing. Blogging is good practice.
- Bloggers are better-informed than non-bloggers. Knowing more is a career advantage…
To which I would add…
- It’s a terrific way to converse with people and ignite conversations you’d never have had
- You’ll improve your thinking in both depth and range
- You’ll quickly discover what you don’t know
- It’s actually fun
- There’s no more efficient way (yet) to communicate with your network, friends and family