David has a long list of tips to make you heaps more productive… Some of my faves that I use lots:
- Shortcut for saving: Ctrl+s
- When typing a web address into MS Internet Explorer’s address bar, you can type, for example, “nytimes” (no quotes) and then press Ctrl+Enter on the keyboard and the address will complete itself into “www.nytimes.com”
- alt+d = takes you to the address bar of most modern web browsers
- You can double-click a word to highlight it in any document, e-mail or Web page.
- You can hide all windows, revealing only what’s on the computer desktop, with one keystroke: hit the Windows key and “D” simultaneously in Windows
- You can also enlarge the entire Web page or document by pressing the Control key as you turn the wheel on top of your mouse.
- You can tap the Space bar to scroll down on a Web page one screenful. Add the Shift key to scroll back up
- When you’re searching for something on the Web using, say, Google, put quotes around phrases that must be searched together. For example, if you put quotes around “electric curtains,” Google won’t waste your time finding one set of Web pages containing the word “electric” and another set containing the word “curtains.”
- You can use Google to do math for you. Just type the equation, like 23*7+15/3=, and hit Enter.