I’m really enjoying Kevin Kelly’s new book – What Technology Wants. Here are some of the tenets. Available from Amazon
- Technology is the most powerful force on the planet.
- Technology is an extension of evolutionary life, best thought of as the 7th kingdom of life.
- Humanity is our first technology; We are tools.
- Technology is selfish; as a system it exhibits its own urges and tendencies.
- Technologies cannot be banned, and none go extinct.
- The progression of technologies is inevitable.
- Because technologies are inevitable we can prepare to optimize their benefits.
- Technology is not neutral but serves as an overwhelming positive force in human culture.
- We have a moral obligation to increase technology because it increases opportunities.
- The origins of technology lie in the Big Bang.
- Technology preceded humans and will continue beyond us.
- Among the things technology wants are increased diversity, complexity, and beauty.
- Technology may be as much a reflection of the divine as nature is.
- Technology is an infinite game, a grand story we can align ourselves with for greater meaning.